Grand Manan Art Gallery
|Record #: HDC3419||Last Modified: 08 Jul 2019||Last Full Update: 08 Jul 2019|
|Description & Services|
|Description of service(s)||Grand Manan Island has a distinct arts history. The United Empire Loyalists first settled here in 1784 and brought with them an appreciation of education, visual arts and music.
The first art gallery on Grand Manan was the “Garden of Eden” owned by painter Wesley Griffin. His art workshops and displays inspired many in the early 20th century. In August 1984 a Bicentennial Art show hosted by the island’s Historical Society set into motion the idea of a recognized island gallery.
Our current gallery was established in 1993 under the umbrella of the Grand Manan Historical Society and leadership of Wade Reppert. The Locke family generously donated the building and land. A renovation, under the direction of architect John Large, was planned and the current gallery constructed.
In 2010, the Grand Manan Art Gallery was formally incorporated. Our non-profit gallery has an active board, and a dedicated group of volunteers who work diligently to ensure the gallery’s financial viability and outstanding programming.
Our gallery has welcomed and exhibited the work of resident artists, seasonal island artists, regional artists and some from further away.
The Grand Manan Art Gallery is committed to enriching our art history through acquiring works for our Permanent Collection.
|Areas Served||Grand Manan|
|Fees||Membership - 30$ Annually ; Admission - 2$|
|Located In Community||Grand Manan|
|Address & Map||
21 Cedar St
NB E5G 2C3
View Google Map
|Service Level||(60) Commercial|
|Service Categories||Visual Arts|