|Record #: HDC1876||Last Modified: 09 Jul 2020||Last Full Update: 09 Jul 2020|
|Toll Free Phone||1-800-466-9326|
|After Hours Phone||1-800-466-9326|
|Alternate Contact||Ms Ms Jennifer Luedey, Director Marketing and Fund Development; Phone: 613-237-5236 ext 2208; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mailing Address||39 McArthur Ave
Ottawa, ON K1L 8L7
|Description & Services|
|Description of service(s)||Oxfam Canada is part of a global movement for change made up of 20 Oxfam affiliate organizations working in more than 90 countries to mobilize the power of people against poverty. Oxfam Canada combines emergency response, long-term development projects, and campaigning to tackle the root causes of poverty and inequality.
THIS IS HOW OXFAM WORKS:
Oxfam takes on the big issues that keep poor, like inequality, discrimination and unequal access to resources including food, water and decent work. We hold the powerful accountable and we won't stop until women's rights are respected and everyone has an equal say in the decisions that affect their lives.
We know that women and girls aren't just the face of poverty - they are also the key to overcoming it. Extreme poverty will never be eradicated until gender inequality is addressed. Oxfam Canada supports a global movement for change - and women are leading that change.
When women's rights are respected, women are healthier, better educated and better paid. Children thrive and so do communities, creating lasting benefits for generations to come.
Women play a critical leadership role in our partner organizations and communities that address the root causes of local poverty, address barriers to development, and help communities gain:
- more secure and equitable resources
- greater access to clean and safe water
- access to healthcare and education
- equal opportunities to participate in public life
- equal freedom to make choices
Why Women's Rights?
The gap between rich and poor is widening - and gender is a main predictor for who will end up poor and who will end up with power. We live in a rich world, yet:
- More than 70% of people living on less than $1/day are women
- 80 million children have no access to school - most of them girls
- Each day 1400 women die in pregnancy and childbirth
- Young women are two to six times more at risk of HIV than the population as a whole
- One in five women will be a victim of rape or attempted rape in her lifetime, and at least one in three will experience physical, mental or sexual abuse. These high rates of violence hinder women's access to education, ability to work, participation in public life, freedom to make choices, or to exercise sexual and reproductive rights
- Around the world, on average, only 16% of elected politicians are women
- Laws that promote gender equality are often not enforced
We mobilize people and resources in Canada and around the world to change policies, practices, attitudes and behaviours that create inequality and human suffering. We are committed to strengthening a global movement in support of human rights and gender justice on a healthy planet.
Working with Canadians, our partners and allies around the world, Oxfam Canada strives to empower individuals, communities and organizations to build a world without poverty where all human beings are valued and treated equally - a world where women and girls have control over their lives and enjoy their full human rights.
|Hours||Monday - Friday 9am-5pm EST|
|Dates Program is Offered||24/7|
|Eligibility||No age restriction|
|Application||No application required.|
|Languages||English ; French|
|Located In Community||Ottawa|
|Address & Map||
39 McArthur Ave
Canada K1L 8L7
View Google Map
|Intersection||McArthur/North River Rd|
|Accessibility||Fully Accessible ; ***Note that accessibility is self-reported. Please contact the organization before arrival***|
|Service Level||(51) Registered Charity|
|Service Categories||Hunger/Poverty Action Groups|