|Record #: HDC1446||Last Modified: 31 Jul 2019||Last Full Update: 31 Jul 2019|
|Primary Contact||Dave paulin, Regional Manager, Edmunston; Email: email@example.com|
|Description & Services|
|Cross Reference||New Brunswick Legal Aid Services Commissions|
|Description of service(s)||• Offices are conveniently located within walking distance of local courts.
• Services are offered in English and French.
• We have a professional staff including Lawyers with expertise in Family Law and Criminal Law.
• Everyone is eligible to apply for Legal Aid.
• We strongly recommend appointments to avoid wait times.
• When you contact us, we will confirm your service need; arrange an appointment; and advise you of the documentation you should bring to help us serve you.
• For Family Legal Aid, please contact Depatment of Justice Court Social Workers.
8:15 A.M. – 4:30 P.M.
Closed Noons (12 P.M. – 1 P.M.)
• There are limited after-hours services for people detained by Police. Contact information will be provided by Police at the time of arrest.
• On a regular basis, services provided free of charge. There may be some financial contribution required depending on income or the type of case.
Service: Duty Counsel
Description: Duty Counsel provides legal advice on the charge; the legal procedures; and the options available. The Duty Counsel lawyer may appear with you to enter a plea or ask for an adjournment, but will not represent you or appear at trial.
Eligibility: Every person has the right to legal duty counsel, regardless of the type of charge.
Procedure: A lawyer will be present at the Court when you are required to enter a plea. If you are detained after hours, police will advise you of the contact number of Counsel on duty.
Service: Criminal Law Legal Aid
Description: The services of a lawyer may be provided if you do not have financial means to pay for legal representation for certain criminal and family law matters.
Eligibility: A lawyer will be considered for you if
• conviction of a criminal charge will likely result in imprisonment;
• you are the custodial parent where the Minister of Family and Community Services seeks to intervene in the relationship between child and parent
• you pay child support where circumstances may require a change in payments
Procedure: Contact the local Legal Aid office to make an application for legal aid. You will be asked for financial statements to review assets, liabilities, income, and expenses of both you and your spouse. Consideration will also be given to the number of dependents you have. Legal Aid may be refused based on the total amount of services that you have previously received from Legal Aid. Some financial contribution from you may be required.
Domestic Legal Aid
Services: Domestic Legal Aid
Description: The services of a Family Solicitor are considered for
• spousal and/or child support
• child custody and/or access
• exclusive possession of the marital property
• division of marital property where total value of equity does not exceed $20,000 and the issues are basic and routine;
• interim orders to provide temporary relief for custody, support, and access
• restraining orders
• changes (variations) to existing orders or agreements; and
• divorce proceedings in special circumstances
Eligibility: A Family Solicitor will provide legal services, as appropriate.
Procedure: A Court Social Worker, who works for the Department of Justice, will meet with you to assess the type of Domestic Legal Aid that is most appropriate for your situation. They will refer you to the New Brunswick Legal Aid Services Commission if they determine you are eligible for the services of a Family Solicitor. The Family Solicitor will identify with you what information is required and refer you to the appropriate resource to deal with documents.
|Hours||Appointments are required: 8:15am - 4:30pm; closed|
|Areas Served||Grand Falls ; Madawaska County - including the Parish of Drummond|
|Eligibility||Ages: 99 year(s) and under
Domestic office: Must be referred by Family Court Services
Criminal office: Contact for appointment
|Application||Completed by the applicant in the Legal Aid office|
|Languages||English ; French|
|Fees||None ; Dependent upon income|
|Located In Community||Edmunston|
|Address & Map||
121 de l'Église Rd, Local 209
Edmundston, NB E3V 1J9
View Google Map
|Accessibility||Fully Accessible ; ***Note that accessibility is self-reported. Please contact the organization before arrival***|
|Service Level||(31) Other Provincial Government|
|Service Categories||General Legal Aid|